Friday, January 5, 2018

My "Start" in Genealogy with Aunt Beulah (#1 of 52)

This post is based on Amy Johnson Crow's "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" challenge. This week's theme is: START.

Beulah Peters, born in 1923, was the baby of her family. One of her big sisters, Hazel, was my grandmother. For many years, Beulah was the family historian for the Peters side of our family. Not only did she collect many family photos and documents, but she also wrote down thoughts and stories about various family members.


In 1998, "Aunt Beulah" graciously introduced me to the amazing world of genealogy. She generously sent me a copy of her tree with all of her notes included. After her death in 2009, one of my uncles inherited all of her papers. With help from his wife and a family friend, they have been organizing all of her research and photos into more than a dozen binders.

In one of her emails to me, Aunt Beulah explained what got her interested in family history. One of our family surnames is Randolph. Beulah had heard the stories of our family being related to Pocahontas and other famous people through our Virginia Randolph's. However, Beulah's research revealed that, although we are from a Randolph family of Virginia, we are not from"the" Randolph family of Virginia.

I owe my start in genealogy to my Aunt Beulah and her search for our connection to Pocahontas.

2 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Dana, I'm looking forward to following your 52 Ancestor posts this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Dara. And Happy New Year to you, too! It's so nice to be blogging again. I love sharing my research and stories! And, now I need to catch up on reading some blogs, too. :)

    ReplyDelete

Color Clustering: Top 25 Fourth Cousins

For more on Color Clustering & DNA, please visit my new website at: www.danaleeds.com  For another look at how Color Clustering works...