Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Aunt Onie Lived to be 104 (#3 of 52)

This post is based on Amy Johnson Crow's "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks" challenge. This week's theme is: LONGEVITY.

Leona (Coppenbarger) Hutchins, who I knew as "Aunt Onie," was my great grandmother's baby sister. Born in Sumner County, Kansas in 1889, she died just across the county border in Cowley County, Kansas. She was 104 years old.

Family photo shows "Onie" as a baby sitting on her mother's lap. Her big sister/my
great grandmother, Myrtle Mae, is the girl standing - second from the left -
with short hair and large collar.

In 1905, at the age of 16, Onie married Frank Hutchins (1883-1975). The childless couple had been married for 69 years at the time of Frank's death.

Wedding Photo of Frank & Leona's 1905 wedding

In 1989 we had a family reunion during which we celebrated Aunt Onie's 100th birthday. (Although this photo might be from 1991.) Aunt Onie is pictured in the center in a wheelchair. Behind her and to the left, the lady in a blue and white striped shirt is my Aunt Beulah who got me started in genealogy almost 10 years after this reunion. I am directly to the left of Beulah with my light blue shirt and "big" 80s bangs! 

Family Reunion and Celebration of Aunt Onie's 100th birthday

4 comments:

  1. What great family photos! I knew one of my great grandmothers (and great grandfather) but never met any of their siblings. How wonderful to have had that opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I remember her more. And, I wish I had been into genealogy back then! But, I do remember how much everyone loved her. :)

      Delete
  2. Aunt Onie must have been tickled to be surrounded with so many family members for her 100th bday. What a wonderful photo! And wonderful longevity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet she was! To never have any kids of her own, she sure had a big family! :)

      Delete

Color Clustering: Top 25 Fourth Cousins

For more on Color Clustering & DNA, please visit my new website at: www.danaleeds.com  For another look at how Color Clustering works...