Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Blog as "Cousin Bait"

Cousin Bait. That's one of the reasons I, and other genealogists, blog. In other words, we're hoping relatives will find our blog posts, recognize their own family members, and get in touch with us. When they get in touch with us, we hope they'll share information with us as we share with them, too.


I started blogging about a year and a half ago, though I was fairly sporadic at first. I have now completed 140 posts. And, I recently got my first 'nibble!'

Bob wrote me saying he'd read my post about George Correy of Chester County, Pennsylvania. The post was about George's 1781 will which had been decided upon by the Pennsylvania Supreme Court.

I actually don't even know if George Correy is related to me, but I do have Correy family members in Chester County during that time period. This is a complicated family with many Correy's in the same area with the same name.

Bob wrote me to tell me he thought I'd made a mistake in my reasoning. And, I had! (I've since corrected the blog post.) But, while emailing back and forth, I was able to help correct one of his errors, too! (Another great reason to have cousins to work with!)

Through our discussions, we found out we are cousins through another Correy couple. David Correy (~1708-1787) and Susanna (~1717-1760) are my 6th great grandparents. Their daughter, Mary Correy, who married John Watson, is my direct line. Another of their daughters, Agnes Correy, who married David Mackey, is Bob's direct line.

We are now working together to try to untangle some of these Correy relationships.

Do you blog? If so, have you met other cousins because of your posts? Or have you found a cousin through someone else's post? If you're not blogging, you might consider it. It's a wonderful way to find more cousins!

Do we share common ancestors or do you know more about the Correy family? If so, I'd love to talk! Please leave a comment or email me at drleeds@sbcglobal.net

(Image from Wikipedia)

7 comments:

  1. Yes, blogging is great cousin bait! I've had a cousin from Brazil contact me because of my blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brazil? That's incredible! One of the things I didn't mention about my new cousin.... He lives near (or in?) the county in Pennsylvania where our family lived. I live in Texas, so I can't run over to the cemetery of courthouse. How great is that?

      Delete
  2. Dana,

    I want to let you know that two of your blog posts are listed in today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2015/09/follow-friday-fab-finds-for-september_25.html

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fun is that! Finding a cousin through your blog is fantastic. Wonder what else you'll find with your new connection? And congratulations on getting the nice mention on Jana Last's Fab Find list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Jill. He's already been sharing some wonderful information and we are busy working together to straighten out this messy Correy family. :)

      Delete
  4. I have several known cousins who read my blog, and one new one I invited to read it (and he enjoys it), but my attempts to seduce others have yet come to naught. One problem is that after a couple of generations, all my ancestors and their descendants are in Germany, and they're not likely to be reading it. Oh well!

    ReplyDelete

Color Clustering: Top 25 Fourth Cousins

For more on Color Clustering & DNA, please visit my new website at: www.danaleeds.com  For another look at how Color Clustering works...