Thursday, May 10, 2018

The Certification Question

Over the past few years, I've considered becoming a certified genealogist more often. About six months ago, I decided to go "on the clock" and start the actual process this summer.

free image from www.clipart-library.com

In pursuit of this goal, I took the BU (Boston University) genealogy course this past fall. I also took other classes, watched webinars, read articles, and listened to podcasts. Although I would have participated in many of these learning experiences anyway, I took part in some of these specifically with the goal of certification in mind.

Since I've started this journey, genealogy has become more of a job and less of a passion for me. Although I often enjoy it, it's become a part of my day I feel I "have to" do instead of something I want to do.

I recently realized how much stress this is causing me and joy it is stealing from me. So, I have decided not to pursue certification at this time.

A few things I've learned in the process:

  • I prefer helping others informally with their research then doing it formally and writing a research report
  • I enjoy blogging and want to do it more consistently 
  • I LOVE teaching through presentations and want to pursue more of these opportunities
I still hope to become certified in the future. But, for now, I am happy to concentrate on the parts of genealogy I love: researching, blogging, and teaching! 

12 comments:

  1. I briefly considered certification but when I dug into the details, I realized that--like you--it would make genealogy feel more like a job than a pleasure and a passion. And, like you, I've been researching family history for 20 years. We want to keep it fun for the next 20 years, right?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we want to keep it fun! Although I'm still thinking about certification in the future, I feel like a weight has been lifted off of me and I'm enjoying my genealogy time a lot more! :)

      Delete
  2. I have also taken the B.U. certificate in genealogical research course (last summer) and am signed up to do ProGen starting this summer. After I have completed ProGen, I will explore the certification process again. I appreciate your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to do the ProGen is starting this summer, but I thought I'd be going through the certification process so it would be too much. I will probably join the fall group. I hope you enjoy it! I'm curious as to how it will change this time!

      Delete
  3. I am another who thought about certification. Although I occasionally accept jobs when someone comes looking, I much prefer to research for fun. I loved my teaching job, but when I retired, I retired! Genealogy is a passion and I decided to keep it that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great way to look at it Linda! I'm really having a lot more fun since I took certification off my "to do" list :)

      Delete
  4. maybe it's not enough indeed, but that makes us happy to be a part of something we really like, no?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I DO really like genealogy, and I want it to keep making me happy. :)

      Delete
  5. I'm happy doing genealogy when I feel like it and in my own way. I know I could do better with the details but I like the thrill of the hunt. Maybe something will change in the future but for now I'm like you - just do what makes me happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Debi. As much as I was wanting to get certified, I am having a lot more fun (again) now that I'm not on that path!

      Delete
  6. Could not agree with your points on this topic any more. I've been a "professional genealogist" without certification for almost 10 years. My roadblock in regards to becoming certified is mostly financial. I can't afford to take extra courses that cost lots of money, especially when the return on that is not likely to be high. I pay enough for the databases necessary to feed my addiction, and luckily I receive enough in compensation to cover those things. I also enjoy genealogy a lot- it never feels like a "job" to me, even when I am doing work for clients. Certification is not a "must" for everyone. As long as we are producing quality work that lives up to BCG standards, I believe there is room for professionals of all kinds in our world.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am so glad to find others with the same concerns. I am starting ProGen to see if I really do want to become certified. I am uncomfortable with the "Scientific American" approach to research.

    ReplyDelete

Color Clustering: Top 25 Fourth Cousins

For more on Color Clustering & DNA, please visit my new website at: www.danaleeds.com  For another look at how Color Clustering works...