|My cousin, Terry, and I at Clayton Library|
Houston - March 2017
We met at Clayton Library in Houston and she brought a pile of photos and documents to share. We had a wonderful time discussing our family and getting to know each other. And, now I have a lot of new information to go through!
One of the photos Terry shared was this "mystery" photo. Terry's father, who is still living, wrote the following note on the back:
Some Peters went to Oklahoma. One had a cotton gin. Grandpa Peters (Eckard) [who is Joachim's son] had 3 brothers:
- Bill - Ashton [Sumner County, Kansas]
- Henry [Oklahoma]
- Charles [Oklahoma]
This photo is of one of them [either Henry or Charles]
|The 4 sons of Charles Peters. Photo in the Stewart family collection|
Probably from Beulah (Peters) Brewer's collection.
Charles Peters (1847-1910) is my great, great grandfather. I would LOVE for this mystery photo to be of him and his family! But, the above photo shows his four sons, and I don't believe they look like the two young men in the other photo. [Besides these four sons, Charles also had two daughters who lived to adulthood.]
When I started researching this morning, I believed that Henry Peters and his wife, Hattie, had 2 sons and 3 daughters. But, after several hours of research, I have determined that they had 3 sons and 5 daughters. However, only 2 sons and 4 daughters survived to adulthood. So, I believe this is a photo of Henry, Hattie, and their 6 grown children.
A photo my dad, JRS, posted on FindAGrave shows three of Henry's children, along with one of their spouses, as older adults. From this photo, I believe we can determine that the taller young man in the "mystery" photo is Albert Roy Peters and the shorter man is Edwin Eugene "Ted" Peters.
|Estimated date of early 1910s based on youngest childrens' ages, Cora's 1910 marriage date, and clothing|
Here is the "mystery" photo again. I am fairly certain this is the family of Henry J Peters, son of Joachim Peters. The family consists of:
- Henry J Peters (1852-1931)
- "Hattie" (Clifton) Peters (1857-1929) apparently never married
- Hugo Peters (1877-1878) died as infant
- Cora May (Peters) Pickett (1880-1957) married Robert Pickett (1877-1953) [likely seated next to her mother wearing a wedding ring in the photo]
- Jennie Lynn Peters (1884-1886) died as toddler
- Albert Roy Peters (1887-1968) never married [taller young man in photo]
- Pearl Elsie (Peters) King (1893-1955) married Glen H King (1888-1976)
- Myrtle Lillian Peters (1893-1973) never married
- Edwin Eugene "Ted" Peters (1895-1966) married Clara Elizabeth King (1898-1984) [shorter young man in photo]
- Hattie Isabell (Peters) Porter (1897-1978) married Earl Brown Porter (1897-1945)