Saturday, January 21, 2017

I've Discovered All of My 3rd Great Grandparents! (And how to post tables on your blog)

I first did an "ancestral score" spreadsheet in January of 2015. This is where you create a chart showing how many of your grandparents, great grandparents, etc., you have identified.

"Ancestral Score" January 2015

I didn't post a similar chart in January of 2016. However, I now realize that in 2015, I discovered my missing 3x great grandparents, the Holthoefer's and the Adam's, through the book I was a contributing author to regarding Holthoefer ancestors. So, I now know all of my 3x great grandparents!


GenerationRelationship Possible NumberIdentified in My TreeIncrease from 2016
1You 110
2Parents 220
3Grandparents 440
4Great Grandparents 880
52x Great Grandparents 16160
63x Great Grandparents 32320
74x Great Grandparents 64434
85x Great Grandparents 128392
96x Great Grandparents 256360
TOTAL 511181                                6

This is my ancestral score as of January 2017. I am obviously counting differently as, although I discovered 4 additional direct descendants in 2015 and 6 in 2016, I am still at 181 identified. I think this has to do with my uncertainty as to whether or not to count a female when her first name is known but her last name is not known. So, it's not a perfect system, but I am discovering new direct ancestors!

Although both of these tables were created on Word, the second one was posted on my blog by using "Tableizer!" I think it is easy to use and I like the results. For a step-by-step guide, see the post titled "Adding a table to a post without coding" on BloggerSentral.

5 comments:

  1. Dana, thanks for the tip about Tableizer. Will have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dana, how did you "count" the numbers? Knowing the score would help me feel like I'm accomplishing something. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Debi, I went into my Ancestry tree, went to the home person (me), and clicked on "view in tree." This view shows me, my parents, grandparents, great grandparents, and 16 great, great grandparents. Those are easy to count! :) Then, I clicked on the ">" next to each of my great, great grandparents. From there, you can see 4 more generations and count the additional number of ancestors. I just had a piece of paper and tallied them up as I went. The problem, as I kind of mentioned, is not being consistent on whether or not to count a female ancestor if I only have her first name. I'm still undecided!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a fun project - and a fun blog post. Thanks!

      Delete

Color Clustering: Top 25 Fourth Cousins

For more on Color Clustering & DNA, please visit my new website at: www.danaleeds.com  For another look at how Color Clustering works...