Friday, August 12, 2016

An Unusual Name for a Child

May I present, Doctor Franklin Boyers? He's only 10 years old, so this is quite an unusual given name. I guess this is one way to make sure your child grows up to be a doctor!

1870 U.S. Census, Prentiss County, Mississippi, pop. sch., Booneville, page 423 [printed], dwelling 47, family 47, Mary Boyers household; microfilm publication M593, 1,761 rolls, roll 746; (Washington: National Archives and Records Administration), digital images, Ancestry.com (http://www.ancestry.com : accessed 7 June 2016). 
P.S. Summer is almost over and my intense genealogy course is, too. I hope to be blogging regularly in just a couple of weeks!

2 comments:

  1. I think "Doctor" was a popular given name in the South in the mid-1800s. I've come across it several times.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda. You're absolutely right! I did a search on Ancestry for an exact first name of "Doctor" and found quite a few children - all in the South. This is a new one to me!

      Delete

My "Ancestral Rebellious Streak"

The Church of England is the official church of England. Protestant churches which do not conform to the Church of England doctrines are cal...