Friday, June 1, 2018

The 1828 Will of Peter Close's Relict: Catharine Elizabeth Close

Yesterday, I shared the 1810 will of my 5th great grandfather, Peter Close of Armagh, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania. Peter's wife, Catharine Elizabeth Close, wrote her will in 1828. Who were the people listed in her will?

Armagh, Mifflin County, Pennsylvania, Will of Catharine Elizabeth
Close dated 1828. Probate packet retrieved by a friend in
Sep 2015 from Pennsylvania Archives in Harrisburg. 

Entire Probate Packet is attached to FamilySearch Family Tree.
Search for "Peter 
Close Sr" who died 1810 in Mifflin County,
Pennsylvania, then look at "memories"
for his wife, Catharine Elizabteh Close.

  • Peter Close - Peter & Catharine's son
  • Henry Close - Peter & Catharine's son
  • Adam Close - Peter & Catharine's son
  • Elizabeth Longwill - Peter & Catharine's daughter, believed to be married to her second husband, William Longwill
  • Susannah Riley - "my daughter" - note that she was NOT listed in Catherine's husband's will; Susannah is believed to be a daughter of Thomas Mifflin and, by this time, was married to Matthew Riley/Reighley, who Peter listed as a "good friend" in his 1810 will 
  • Mary Bridge - "granddaughter" - this is her daughter, Elizabeth's, daughter with her first husband, George Bridge (Mary had at least 3 brothers and no known sisters)
  • Eliza Close - "Peter's daughter" - (Eliza had at least 5 brothers and no known sisters)
  • Catharine Elizabeth Close - "granddaughter"/"Adam's daughter" - Adam had at least one other daughter at this time; perhaps she was bequeathing teaspoons to her because she was her namesake
  • John Gilliland - witness; unknown relationship
  • Alex [?] McGott[?] - witness; unknown relationship

WILL TRANSCRIPTION by Dana Leeds [names are in bold]

The last Will and Testament of Catharine Elizabeth Close
of Armagh Township Mifflin County and State of Pa[?]
I, Catharine Elizabeth Close, considering the uncertainty
of this mortal life, and being in sound mind and
memory, (blessed be Almighty God for the same) do
make this my last will and testament in the
following manner viz.. and in the 1st [?] I will
that all my just debts and funeral expenses be
paid by my three sons, Peter, Henry, and Adam Close.
each a share and share alike. 2nd I give and bequeath
to my daughter Elizabeth Longwill the bed and bedding
I now lie on. 3rd I give to my daughter Susannah Riley
one bed and bedding, and my sons Peter and Adam to
pay her in the year eight-teen hundred and thirty one
eighty dollars each. 4th I give and bequeath to my grand
daughter Mary Bridge a calico quilt, looking glass, stew
kettle, coffee mill, spinning wheel, Reel, Copper tea kettle[?]
half of the linen shirting, [?] of the ?? ??
sheep[?], and one hive of bees, a small pewter dish and
half of the pewter spoons 5th I give and bequeath to my Grand
daughter Eliza Close (Peter’s daughter) three silver tea spoons,
also to my Grand daughter (Adam’s daughter) Catherine Elizabeth
Close, three silver tea spoons. 6th I give and bequeath
The remainder of house hold and kitchen furniture, Two
Cows and five[?] sheep, equally to my three sons, Peter
Henry & Adam. I also bequeath at my decease two bonds[?]
I hold against Peter and Adam to be given up to them.
Of the above house hold furniture, I give and bequeath
to my son Peter, a Coverlet ([?] ball pattern) ---
Thereby appoint my son’s Peter Henry and Adam to be my
Executors of my last will and testament, revoking all
former wills by me made. In witness whereof I set
my hand and seal this Eleventh day of May
in the year of our Lord One thousand eight hund[?]
and twenty eight
     Witness Present        Catharine Elizabeth [her X mark] Close [seal]
     John Gilliland
     Alex [?] McGott[?]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Color Clustering: Top 25 Fourth Cousins

For more on Color Clustering & DNA, please visit my new website at: www.danaleeds.com  For another look at how Color Clustering works...